• Jeremy Armendinger

Walking And Why It Is So Important

Many times clients ask what they should be doing outside of their sessions if they want to lose body fat and stay healthy and more often than not my response is usually to walk more.

One of the reasons why is because we have fallen into the trap of believing that our one hour workout at the gym makes up for the other 12 hours of the day in which we may be sedentary. There is a huge difference between exercise and movement. Exercise is the artificial grouping of movements compressed into an hour at a gym. Think 3 sets of 10 reps on a chest press machine. Movement on the other hand is the unintentional way in which we move our body's throughout the day. Think walking down the driveway to get the mail, or chopping vegetables in the kitchen.

If we were to workout for 1 hour at the gym, that workout would only constitute a whopping 4% of your day. To contrast that, we have roughly 67% of our day that could potentially be used for movement (the other 33% is for sleep).

Big difference.

This discrepancy can also make sense of why you may go to the gym 3-4x per week, work a desk job and yet struggle to lose weight. We are leaving so much potential energy spent on the table because we do not understand that in order to lose body fat, we must create an environment where the body is forced to expend more energy. The biggest and most efficient way for us to do that is to move more throughout our days.

Walking is the simplest way to do that.

Find ways to inject walking and all types of movement throughout your day in addition to working out.

Take a 20-30 minute walk every day at a minimum.

You can overeat, you can over-exercise, it is nearly impossible to over-walk.

If we are going to choose to do something that the body wasn't necessarily designed for or evolved to do, i.e be sedentary for long parts of our day, then we must try to find ways to move more to counteract that in order to avoid health issues.

It is definitely possible. All that is required is a new way of thinking.

And more movement.


Recent Posts

See All
656 Main St.
East Aurora, NY 14052
(585) 322-5279
*Located On The Backside Of The Main St. Buildings Next To Paws In The Pantry
Structure Fitness Institute
School for Fitness Professionals

© 2017 Copyright Structure Fitness

  • Grey Facebook Icon